The STIHL MM 56 C-E YARD BOSS® has everything users need and more in a multi-tasking tool. With more power and fuel capacity than the previous model, the MM 56 C-E helps homeowners finish various yard tasks quickly and efficiently. It comes standard as a cultivator and is ideal for breaking up weeds and hardened soil in flower beds or gardens. The YARD BOSS® easily transitions to any of its eight optional attachments to become a trimmer, edger, dethatcher, lawn aerator and more, allowing users to use the right tool for the right application with ease. The STIHL Easy2Start™ system also provides a fast and almost effortless start with a gentle pull of the cord, making managing landscapes a breeze. When finished, the MM 56 C-E folds easily for compact storage and transport.
If you are one of those who works usually with lawnmowers, then you probably already know the big importance that lawn mower parts have. No matter what model of machine you drive, it will need some parts replacement after some years of use. Even the best manufacturers’ models, which worked smoothly at the beginning or that model you bought being the sturdiest mower at the moment will have something broken and therefore will go wrong after few years.
Damage and wear are two of the most typical reasons for replacing lawn mower parts. Since wear refers to parts that have been working hard and do not perform as they should, damage refers to parts that are totally broken and need to be replaced completely. Wear situations come up usually due to worn parts. Unsharpened blades is a clear example of worn parts. You just need to sharpen blades and you mower will cut the lawn as a newer one. Damage situations are easy to detect because most of the times the engine doesn’t start at all. It can also happens that suddenly you’d had a lawn mower break when you have only mowed half of the garden size. It becomes an annoying situation and very embarrassing as well.
Typical Problems With Lawn Mowers
One of the most typical problem for lawn mower parts replacements is when you broke off the clutch handle as well as blades sharpening. No panic when it happens, it’s plenty of mower parts out there, you just need to find the part that better fits your needs. You might be thinking on how easy is to find a mower part. However, it isn’t as easy task as it seems at all. Finding the most suitable part that better works with your mower might be sometimes a bit tricky. What professional gardeners use to do is to find the specific parts in a lawn mower parts catalog. But, not everyone have access to this parts catalog, specially regular home and garden owners that just want to find a small piece for their specific model.
The simplest way to find specific lawn mower parts is at the gardening warehouses. You can find there most parts for common mowersí manufacturers. These warehouses have the knowledge and compatibility lists for your specific model as well as most parts to get your machine mowing again. If you are lucky, your mower will run again just a few hours later, if they donít have your required part in stock, then you might order it and pick it up a couple of days later.
Toro And Simplicity Lawn Mower Parts
They are two of the most reliable and truly manufacturers across the world. Toro mower parts can be purchased from almost any Toro dealer as well as from any mower parts or goods warehouse that are specialized in Toro manufacturer. Like many other products, lawn mower parts are divided into subcategories inside walk-behind or riding mowers models. These subcategories are essentially the following 3:
Engine assembly for current gas powered mowers.
Handle assembly for handle parts and parts like cables.
Housing assembly for housing parts such as wheels or frames
Since Toro lawn mower manufacturer offers reliable performance machines, they are yet not the most affordable mower for homeowners. Simplicity mower parts give customers the ability to repair their lawnmowers at affordable prices. Simplicity is a truly mower and parts manufacturer focused to provided top quality for those who are confident enough to perform their own mower parts replacements. Simplicity mowers are specifically designed to make repairs quickly and easily, performance might not be so good, but enough for a small yard. However, there are also commercial simplicity mowers such as three-wheel riding mowers as well as zero-turn riding lawn mowers.
– Lawn Mower Tires, The Essential Difference
The essential difference in replacing a car tire and flat tire of a lawn mower is,
* You do not carry a spare tire with you all the time when you move along with your lawn mower
* Your equipment for replacing the tire like jack, spanners etc. are not with you, they are in your basement workshop
* Your house is nearby so you can summon help from your family members
* You may not be in a hurry to change the tire and you are not putting anyone to difficulty by leaving a vehicle with a flat tire on your premises, as you would if you leave your vehicle on a public road.
* You can change the tire at a more convenient time
* Depending upon the size of tire, you may require some external help
– Changing the tire
A lawn mower works on an undulating surface too. Therefore if your tire has gone flat where not all the tires are on a level surface, do not try to change a flat tire at that place. Depending upon where the tire has gone flat, you can change the following procedure slightly, but ensure that the spirit of safety precautions is not violated.
If you have a portable air compressor with you, (even a foot operated one will do), try to inflate the tires and then shift your lawn tractor to a flat and level surface, it will be best for the tractor. If you do not have an air compressor and the flat area is nearby, take your tractor in, as is condition, to the flat surface. The lawn mower tires are a rugged lot. The tire will take this punishment without a murmur.
The procedure for changing the tire is as follows.
* You have already brought the tractor on a flat and level surface. Park it there. Shut off the engine. Pull the hand brake and remove the tractor keys in order to prevent accidental re-starting.
* Clean the tire to be replaced and the area around the tire with water. This will take away any dirt from the nuts holding the tires and reduce the work load on you while taking out the tire
* Loosen the nuts holding the tire slightly. Make it a point to ensure that all the nuts are loosened slightly. Any one remaining to be loosened might give you a problem later on. Do not back off completely. Just loosen them and that is all. If you are not in a position to back off even a single nut, do not proceed further. Re-tighten the loosened nuts and ask for professional help.
* Fix up other wheels with a wheel lock or slip a wooden plank or a stone so that the wheel may not move. Do this to two wheels at least.
* Next slip a hydraulic jack or a crew jack at a convenient place on the chassis, (This place is usually indicated in the maintenance manual) and raise the wheel to be replaced)
* Back off all the nuts holding the wheel and take out the wheel. You may require some help in this as the lawn wheels are slightly larger than car wheels.
* After taking out the wheel, clean the brake drum (if you have one) and wash off all the dirt that has collected, remove anything lodged in there.
* Put a new wheel and get the other one repaired.
– Safety Precautions
1. Wear hand gloves all the time. This will prevent injuries to your hand
2. When loosening the nuts, give particular attention to slippage of spanners. They can cause serious injuries to hand or head as you will not be able to control your movement when spanner slips
3. NEVER EVER change a tire on an undulating surface. There are many cases when the jacks have slipped from their position due to this and deaths have resulted from persons being crushed beneath lawn mower.
You’re standing in your front yard minding your own business when a robot with three razor sharp blades spinning at 5,800 rpm starts racing toward you. What do you do?
Is this some kind of nightmare? No, you’re awake and this is really happening, so once again, what do you do?
The answer is nothing. It will just bounce off you and go another direction. Rather anti-climatic ending wasn’t it? That is just the way the robotic lawn mower companies want it to be.
The greatest concern most people have about robotic lawn mowers is safety. Bots with Blades just cant be safe. According to Ames Tiedeman, National Sales Manager for Systems Trading Corp., the US distributor for the Friendly Robotics Robomower, over 72,000 emergency room visits involved lawn mowers in 2005. ZERO involved robotic lawn mowers.
These mowers have so many safety features and shut-off triggers that it is amazing that they are actually functional.
The Friendly Robotics Robomower turns the blades off at 16 degrees, not even high enough to get a hand under. Even if a small hand could get under, the blades are far back and recessed into a chamber in the body. It would take creativity, not stupidity, to get to the blades while they are still turning.
Unlike push and riding lawn mower safety devices, robotic lawn mower features are not easily disabled. The tilt detection devices are soldered on to the main boards. Even the resistance against the blades and the ability of the software to stop them is measured in thousandths of seconds.
Since these robotic lawn mowers are designed to mulch there is no easy outlet for flying debris. Pebbles and pine cones do not get tossed very far and at low velocity.
Some robotic lawn mowers have sonar detection systems that if any moving objects get close theyíll slow down and at another point stop the blade before even being touched. All have some sort of touch sensors that when they lightly bump into a stationary object that they change direction. So actually getting run over is unlikely.
Another big concern is pets getting chopped to bits, again, no reported accidents involving robotic lawn mowers. Dogs have a tendency to chase and bark, but not attack. A dog actually chewing up a robotic lawn mower is more feasible than a robotic lawn mower chewing up a dog.
Robotic lawn mowers move relatively slow, people and animals can easily move out of the way. Although it takes a lot longer to mow, if everyone used them there would be 72,000 fewer hospital visits this year.
This article was written to educate people that robotic mowers under intended circumstances are safe. There has been a great deal of thought and engineering involved to make robotic lawn mowers safe for public use.
The STIHL RMA 460 lawn mower is the first lawn mower in the AK Series of the STIHL Lightning Battery System®, giving AK battery users a full line of products to complete tasks around their lawns. This lawn mower is compatible with the STIHL AK 20 battery or STIHL AK 30 battery, providing homeowners with performance options based on yard size. With a cutting deck width of 19 inches, the RMA 460 is highly maneuverable for quick and efficient grass cutting with each pass. Its 15.85-gallon grass catcher allows for more mowing and less stopping, while the handlebar is easily adjustable for user comfort.
“This mower is ideal for homeowners with small- to medium-sized residential yards*,” said Brian Manke, product manager at STIHL Inc. “Users don’t have to worry about gas or fuel mixing. Pair that with zero exhaust emissions and the RMA 460 provides a more environmentally friendly lawn care solution compared to traditional gasoline-powered mowers.”
Quick, Efficient, Cost-Saving Battery-Powered Mowing
Users of the RMA 460 enjoy a low cost of ownership over the lifetime of the mower due to minimal maintenance (no engine or filter maintenance) and low operating costs.
The powerful RMA 460 features:
- Multiple performance options based on yard size and can mow:
- Approximately 2,475 square feet on a single charge using the AK 20 battery
- Approximately 3,440 square feet on a single charge using the AK 30 battery
- A commercial-grade, brushless electric motor with ECO Mode which automatically reduces power when mowing through light grass and adjusts to full power in tall grass to conserve battery life and extend run time
- Seven different cutting heights from 1 3/8 – 3 3/4 inches with quick and simple single action cutting height adjustment
- Mulching functionality which returns nutrients and moisture to the soil for a thicker, healthier lawn
- Quiet operation, ideal for noise-sensitive areas
- Instant start — just push the button and squeeze the bail
- Standard mower accessories: a rear bagger, side discharge chute and a mulch plug
- 10-inch rear, 8-inch front ball-bearing wheels which allow for easy pushing over rough terrain
- Folding handlebar for easy storage
- Removable fuse key to prevent accidental or unauthorized use/startup of machine
- Multiple storage options allow mower to be stored in three positions: folded or unfolded on all four wheels or upright and folded in the cleaning position with blades facing the wall to save space
STIHL Lightning Battery System® Technology
- Advanced STIHL Lithium-Ion battery technology offers users an option to reduce their impact on the environment and provides a powerful alternative to gasoline-powered equipment
- Low maintenance and operating cost — eliminates hassle and cost of fuel
- No battery memory limitation, no gradual drop in power — high performance; runs at full speed until battery is depleted
Is your lawn mower tearing of the lawn grass blades instead of cutting it? Does your lawn look like it has been eaten by a goat, in spite of being cut by the lawn mower? Wait; do not pull your hair by the root. Help is at hand. We will teach you how to sharpen the lawn mower blades at minimum price and effort.
Your Manual Lawn Mower The Faithful Walk Behinds
Tools: The tools that your will require for doing this job are
– You and your time of about 2 hours or less
– A bastard file of about 12î long
– A small crow bar to prevent movement of rotor of lawn mower.
– A worktable will be useful for dong the job comfortably.
Procedure: You can use the following procedure as a general guide and make changes to it to suit you. Remember the procedure is not sacrosanct. The results are important, not the procedure.
1. If possible, remove the handle of lawn mower and place lawn mower on the table.
2. Secure it if possible in the clamps. If you do not have clamps, do not bother, secure it against any block, so that the movement away from you is restricted.
3. Fix the crowbar in the blades so that it will not rotate
4. With the help of the bastard file, file the edges of blades so that they look sharp. Work at an angle of 45 degrees
5. When one blade is sharpened, remove the crowbar and turn the rotor to work on another blade. Repeat the procedure until all blades are sharpened.
6. If you have a flexible shaft grinder in your DIY workshop, you will be able to complete the work within 5 to 10 minutes per blade. Make a template of blade profile before you start your work and compare frequently. This is necessary to ensure that you do not over cut at a place.
Safety Tip For You
While sharpening the blades ensure that the stroke is not too long otherwise, you may injure yourself.
Sharpening Blades Of Power Mower
Depending upon the lawn mower the procedure may vary. We have included general statements in this procedure; you would have to change the procedure slightly. Keep the maintenance manual of lawn mower handy if you have one.
– Siphon hose and clean container
– Heavy work gloves and goggles
– Double-cut (medium-rough) flat file
– Lumber scrap
– Socket wrench set
– Rubber mallet*
– Bench vise or C clamps
– Rotary blade sharpener accessory
– Electric drill*
– Screwdriver, or 1/4-in. rod or bolt*
– Blade balancer
– Replacement blade*
* Only if required
The list may look formidable, but tools are generally available with every DIY enthusiast.
The procedure is given for the simple single blade lawn mower, but the same will apply to all types of blades, whether single or double
– Wear hand gloves and clean the engine and the gasoline tank from outside
– Remove spark plug from the engine
– Remove all the fuel from the tank of the gasoline engine. Use the siphon hose so you do not spill gasoline on floor.
– Completely empty out the oil from gearbox if you have one
– Invert the engine and have access to the blade.
– Clamp the engine so it does not move and clean the blade area thoroughly
– With help of a box spanner, remove the nut holding the blade. Usually the nut will be unlocked in the reverse to direction of rotation of engine. You may engage the screwdriver in the cooling fan of engine to stop rotation of engine.
– If you find that you are using too much force to unlock the nut, put one or two drops of rust removing chemical, and try after 30 minutes
– After you remove the blade, clamp it in the bench vise and sharpen it with a file or a grinder. Sharpen only the outer 2 to 3 inches. The area to be sharpened will be known if you see the blade.
– Sharpen only to the required extent. Too much sharpening is not necessary. This is not the knife. It works at the speed of the engine
– After sharpening, check with your thumb. Be careful not to cut thumb. If you have done sharpening before, or seen some one doing it, you will know what we mean by this.
– Balance the blade with help of a small balancing tool on VEE blocks, or even on two foot rulers placed side by side
– Refit the blades, refill engine oil and gasoline and test the sharpness of blades on uncut portion of your lawn
– Always use safety goggles and hand gloves when working with power tools.
– Be sure to remove the spark plug before starting. Serious accidents can happen if you do not do this.